Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Why I don't have a Facebook account


I get it all the time, "You don't have a Facebook account?!" (announced with a gasp of astonishment.) No, I don't have a Facebook account...really, I don't. I didn't just get fed up with Facebook one day and delete my account. I never signed up for one, never have, and never will.

I know many people probably wonder how I can consider myself a marketer and say that I understand social media, but not have a Facebook. Before I get too far let me point out that I have had business Facebook accounts (and that plays into why I will not have a personal one.)

Don't get me wrong, its not that I hate Facebook or anything. I think Facebook is a great social media tool, and have seen first hand the power of it using it as a marketing tool.

So then why don't I have a Facebook account?

1. If you are not buying the product, you are the product.
Facebook is about to issues one of the largest IPO's in history. That can tell you exactly what your information is worth. Having worked on the other side of social media, I can tell you it is amazing what information you can get from people Facebook accounts, especially if you are willing to pay for it.

Yes I know that Twitter, Gmail, Linkedin, and all other social media have a similar method of revenue, but I see more personal benefit to those services.

2. It's a huge time suck.
I can't tell you how many times I would walk past students on campus (even during finals week), nurses at the doctors office, government employees, and friends, all wasting time on Facebook when they should be doing something else. People seem to get sucked in and never leave. I have enough time wasters, I don't need another.

3. It distracts people from personal interaction.
I hear it all the time. Instead of talking to someone, calling them, or even texting someone for goodness sake, people just log on to Facebook to find out about a friend.

4. Controlling your brand.
I think few people understand what they risk by posting things on Facebook, and even worse, what their friends post. Call me a cynic, but I don't trust everyone else on Facebook to keep my best interest in mind when they "post on my wall" or tag me in a photo. I prefer to have more control over my personal brand.

5. Facebook etiquette.
When do you friend someone? Do you friend your boss? Will they be offended if I un-friend them? It is much easier to just say "Sorry, I don't have Facebook."

Ultimately I think it comes down to value offered in exchange for your information. And with Facebook, I just don't see the personal value being that great, especially with so many negatives.

No comments:

Post a Comment