Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Why the Corporate World Should Seek Out Entrepreneurs

Quite often I get asked about my entrepreneur experience and how it will relate to working into a corporate environment. To me this is an easy question.

Being an entrepreneur has allowed me to see and experience situations from various roles, ranging from employee, employer, owner, and everything in between. Having had experience in a variety of capacities gives me familiarity in various aspects of business, such as distribution, manufacturing, project management, human relations, human resources, budgeting, marketing, leading cross-functional teams, go-to-market strategies, positioning, customer relations, and many more. In addition, I have had the experience of starting and growing companies in a down economy and understanding what is required to be successful.

Recently I attended a marketing case competition in Boston at Babson College. They are the #1 MBA program for entrepreneurship. (BYU is #2) The reason the #1 business school in entrepreneurship was hosting a marketing competition is they understand the value that comes from entrepreneurship. On their website they state:

"The entrepreneurial, opportunity-driven mindset is critical for marketers in order to drive growth in both large and small organizations."

I think companies would greatly benefit from seeking out and employing entrepreneurs. So why are companies so hesitant to hire entrepreneurs?


Unfortunately over the years entrepreneurs have been labeled as inexperienced, flighty, scatter brained, and unprofessional. I am here to tell you this is not the case. Every entrepreneur I have had the pleasure to work with has been the opposite!

So if you are looking to gain more experience, or for your next employee, look to entrepreneurship.

No comments:

Post a Comment